This Fresh and light coconut broth is the perfect meal to kick-start your healthy eating in 2018. Its the love child of Coco-nutty tom kha soup & fragrant hai green curry. Lemongrass, ginger, Kaffir lime leaf & fresh herbs are blended with coconut milk & veggie stock to create a delicious broth which is simmered gently then ladled over brown rice noodles, broccolini and tofu. I love topping this soup off with fresh cucumber and bean sprouts for extra crunch. Snow peas, boy choy and capsicum also work amazingly. If you want an extra green kick you can blend a handful of spinach into the broth.
This soup is great if you want to calm and soothe your tummy after an indulgent silly season. Lemongrass, ginger & mint are digestion superstars! They’re full of compounds that can help ease common digestive symptoms like bloating, nausea & cramps. You can also use the leftover herbs to brew a delicious tummy tea and sip throughout the day.
Lemongrass & Coconut soup
Serves – 2 hungry people Prep 15 Cook – 10 Difficulty – Medium
For the Broth
1 stalk of lemongrass
1 cup mint
1 cup coriander
1-inch knob of fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon white miso
1 tablespoon tamari
1 fresh lime
1 can coconut milk
1 cup veg stock
brown rice noodles, cooked
1 bunch broccolini or other Asian greens, steamed
1 cup bean sprouts
1 small cucumber, chopped
250g firm tofu, cut into cubes
toasted sesame seeds
Fresh chilli, sliced (optional)
1. Start by cooking your rice noodles, steaming your veggies and chopping your cucumber, tofu and chilli so they ready to go when the broth is done.
2. Roughly chop the garlic, ginger and lemongrass making sure only to use the white end of the lemongrass as the top green half is too fibrous to blend.
3. Add the chopped garlic, ginger and lemongrass to a blender or a medium saucepan if using a stick blender along with the other broth ingredients, reserving the lime and a few sprigs of mint and coriander for serving. Blend until smooth and creamy.
4. Transfer to a medium saucepan ( if not already in one) and simmer on a low heat for 8 – 10 minutes to warm through and cook out the raw garlic flavour.
5. When the broth is warmed through squeeze in the lime juice and stir to combine.
6. In two large bowls layer the rice noodles, steamed veg & tofu then pour the coconut broth into the bowls. Top with the fresh cucumber, bean sprouts, sesame seeds and chilli.
Eat and enjoy!